UX / UI / Visual Design
Platform: iOS / Android App
The Embargo app for iOS and Android offers members exclusive promotions and rewards at participating venues. Members are 'checked-in' to venues via Bluetooth, and earn points for time accrued that can be applied to various offers and promotions.
In addition to the front-end app used by members, the app offers a robust back-end experience for venues. It allows them to create and fulfill offers, and view metrics as to when app users have checked-in to their venue.
The primary goal of the Embargo app is to increase brand loyalty amongst visitors to participating venues. Embargo had a working version of the Android app when I came on board. They wanted to redesign the app from the ground up focusing on the iOS version.
RESEARCH & USER TESTING
I began by assessing the current platform, looking at competitors, and reviewing feedback from user testing with both users and venues.
The Embargo team had completed extensive user testing with both user and venues for the Android version. User testing revealed the following:
- The process of claiming offers was confusing
- The venue pages were missing critical information
- Users were confused as to how their status was tallied and upgraded
- Users wanted the ability to view venues on a map, in addition to the existing list view
- There was no clear call to action when no participating venues were within the user's location radius
- Competitive analysis
- Stakeholder interviews
- Product strategy
- User experience / user interface
- Visual design
Below is a sample of the visual designs created.
The iOS designs were ported to the Android version. Embargo is available for iOS and Android. Links below the designs.